Sunday, September 22, 2019

SPACEJUNK: AN INTERGALACTIC ROMANTIC COMEDY PART 9


Sarah headed for the closest drink dispenser. Her stomach was rumbling so maybe juice was a better option than the caffeine. The captain was waiting in the reception area as she came out.

“How it goes Sarah? He inquired, concerned.

“Ugh! I feel like I’ve been grilled on high or 10 minutes on each side. Is there a drink dispenser around? I need juice.” She asked as she looked around the room.
“I don’t know about a drink dispenser but there is a coffee machine over there.” He said pointing
Sarah shook her head “no, I am eschewing caffeine for the foreseeable future.”
“Probably a good idea.” Dave replied “about that, did you have “the talk” with Coop yet?”
“I did.” Sarah smiled
“oh really? How did he take the news of the impending fatherhood?“
“Quite well. I was surprised he didn’t cut and run.” She chuckled
“well, is he going to step up or not?” The captain inquired
“he wants to.”
“You have doubts?” Dave asked again
Sarah shook her head “not really. He seems so mature for his age he wants to get into the Marine Corps and have a real life apart from that of being a sanitary engineer until retirement. I have to admit the boy has ambition. We’ll have to see if he is really ready to be a dad though.”
At that point, for entered this reception area looking frazzled and a bit pissed off.
Sarah stood up to greet him “by the look on your face, I take it things were rough.”
Coop faced her “well, it wasn’t bad and I didn’t keep my tongue in my head and now I want to find a punching bag and a beer not necessarily in that order.”
“Don’t worry Coop. I feel the same but I’ll settle for juice instead.” Sarah looked around “where’s Al?”
“He’s still being questioned about finding a body and where he was on alpha station that night.”
“Why? I don’t think he has much of a motive for killing Todd. He doesn’t even know him. Me on the other hand, “they played the” I’m the jilted lover card” according to them “I have every reason to want the idiot dead. I really wish they’d look somewhere else. This stress I’m under is not good for me or my baby.”
“Whirls can they look?”” Coop asked”
“maybe his shipmates or other known enemies. He must’ve pissed somebody off to get him killed.” The captain answered.
Just then, Detective Sturgis sauntered in. “Lieut. French during the clear.”
“Really?” Sarah breathed a sigh of relief
. “Yes quite. I just got word on the time of death for Ensign Weatherly. It was six weeks ago. Your alibi checks out that as does yours Mr. Bradley.”
Coop looked relieved but asked “what about Al?”
“That remains to be seen Mr. Bradley.”
“How come?” Coop inquired
detective Sturgis shook his head and said “sorry, I’m not at liberty to say.”
Coop looked like he wanted to punch something. Sarah placed her hand on his arm and squeezed gently and Coop immediately calmed down.
Sarah spoke up “do they think he did it?”
Sturgis frowned “again, sorry I can’t say.”
“He was with me working the whole time!” Coop explained, frustrated
“Sturgis shook his head “not six weeks ago. I called your superiors he was off sick at the time of Ensign Weatherly’s death.”
Remembering that time, who paled. “Oh God! Yeah, he didn’t seem sick but he begged off work for three days. How could he kill a guy he doesn’t even know?”
Detective Sturgis spoke up and asked “how well do you know Al, Mr. Bradley?”
“Quite well he is my best buddy. We’ve known each other forever. Why do you ask?”
Sturgis side “it seems Al is not who you think he is.” Sturgis stated then walked away.

No comments: