Sunday, July 21, 2019

SPACE JUNK: AN INTERSTELLAR ROMANTIC COMEDY PART 4


chapter 4
back at the captain’s quarters, and Sarah knocked again. From inside she heard him say “come in.”
Once inside, she spoke up “hello again Capt. I need to speak to you about an important matter.”
“Oh really, do tell.” The captain sat relaxed behind his desk. “Have a seat Lieut. French what’s on your mind?”
“They’re been some new developments with my health sir.”
“Oh, wow, how serious?”
“About nine months worth sir.” She smiled slightly
“oh, what? Are you? Wow, congrats,. I think?”
“I’m still not sure how I feel about it sir. I just confirmed it with the Dr.”
“okay then. Well, what can I do for you?” The Capt. asked, concerned.
“I need to know that my job is not in jeopardy sir.” Sarah stated
“why would it be? We can’t send you out on a spacewalk but surely there are duties that won’t affect the pregnancy. Don’t worry about it Lieut. French, your job is safe. If you experience any problems please let me know and we can put you on modified duty.”
Sarah smiled genuinely “thanks sir. You don’t know how relieved I am. I was really considering terminating it if it would affect my job.” She said, relieved
“no need to worry about it. The New World needs new babies. Your child would be a welcome addition to any space station. His time to be congratulated as well Sarah?”
Sarah just shook her head “no Sir. I doubt it and we are no longer together. It’s a long story and telling it again would just upset me. I need to keep my wits about me for the next nine months and the next 18 years, who knows. I can’t have regrets clouding my life.”
“Totally understandable Sarah but I’m sorry to hear about you and Todd. He is a fine man.” The captain stated
at that, Sarah merely snorted but recovered “me to serve the breakup was a shock.”
“Sarah, I see your distressed. If you need to talk, I’m here okay. Your dad was a close friend as well as my commander. I promised myself that I would look out for you while you’re stationed on the ship. I intend to keep that promise. I might be your commander but consider me a friend too, okay?”
“Okay here’s the thing. While we are on leave on alpha station, I kind of sort of caught him in a lie in that he said he couldn’t get away that weekend. But I ran into him with a stripper and her face was in his crotch. I basically told him that they deserved each other and walked away. Later on I told him it was over. I don’t need a liar and a cheater in my life.”
“Holy shit Sarah! No wonder Europe said throwing a fine person like you over for a stripper. Forget what I said about his qualifications as a human being. That guy is a horse’s ass!” The captain said vehemently.
“Yes sir. I think so too Sir. That’s all. I just wanted you to know what my status was. And if I need to come to you I will. I trust you sir.”
“As good Sarah and just remember when you’re crying on my shoulder you can call me Dave.”
Sarah smiled, then turned and left the captain’s office.












No comments: