Saturday, February 13, 2021

FOR CREEPY FICTION THERE IS NO BETTER THAN SILENT VOICES BY FRAN LEWIS

 


Driving down a rocky road I saw the overgrown grass, weeds, and poison ivy overtaking the outer perimeter of the bushes. The smell of mildew permeated the air, along with the stench of animals killed by cars coming up from the ground along this dirt road. I could see the sadness on the faces in the cars behind me; I could feel the pain and sorrow.


As I looked inside the cars and saw the faces of the drivers, I began to wonder what they were thinking, their thoughts and feelings as they traveled down life's highway, maybe for the very last time. What stories lay behind the faces behind the wheel of each oncoming car? What stories were hidden? Whose voices are now silenced?




Reviewed in the United States on June 30, 2019
All my life I had to struggle and work hard for everything that I ever needed. So, why not take advantage of a situation? My grandmother, Gertie, was frail and much older, needing constant care at home. Her mind was sharp, but her legs were weak. She could no longer shop for herself and going to the bank to deposit her disability checks had become a real chore. Each one of us had a different father, and not one of us had all of the conveniences that life should have given us. So, we joined forces to get what we deserved from our grandmother. My sisters and I had decided to take on the responsibility of her daily care. Of course, I felt, as they did, that we deserved something for our efforts. Moving into her huge house was not a problem, as she had six bedrooms, three baths, and enough closet space for everyone. The house was amazing, and the kitchen was state of the art. Taking some of what she had was not a problem until she began to realize that something was wrong.

The four granddaughters pool their ideas and resources to take over what their grandmother has worked her whole life to have. BUT… the situation takes a turn when Gertie turns the tables on them.

No comments: